Newton Park and Conservation Lands
||Wilson Conservation Lands
LOCATION: Newton Centre
and driving directions on Google Maps to:
Other maps and aerial
Connects to: Aqueduct Trails
0.5 acres (conservation area) + 1.5 acres (conservation restriction)
LONGEST WALK: 0.2 miles
(a longer walk that includes this park)
ACQUIRED: 1990s and 2012
MANAGED BY :
Conservation Commission (conservation area)
Newton Conservators (conservation restriction)
Woods and gardens above and adjacent to the Cochituate and Sudbury Aqueducts. Historic stone bridge that once crossed a stream connecting two small ponds, as shown on an 1895 map.
||House built by real estate developer Roswell Turner on land between the aqueducts.
According to a 1983 Newton Historical Society report, "Except for the Colonial Revival trimming and a twentieth century addition to the north facade, this house represents the Italianate Style complete with hipped roof, tower, and arched windows. From 1844, Mr. Turner lived in Newton Centre where he bought and sold numerous properties. A manuscript by Margaret Orr in the Jackson Homestead Collection describes him as the real estate developer of Pelham Street, Lake Street, and the part of Beacon Street near the village centre. Charles Davis, owner until 1907, called the estate 'Mount Pleasant.'"
||Mount Pleasant listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
|Half-acre parcel above the Sudbury Aqueduct donated to the City of Newton by Richard and Andrée Wilson, to form the Wilson Conservation Area.
||Conservation restriction on adjacent 1.5 acre parcel donated by the Wilsons to the Newton Conservators.