Newton Conservators logo spring photo
 
 

Newton Park and Conservation Lands

Norumbega Park Then and Now

Norumbega Park, a 27-acre, privately owned park situated at the end of the streetcar line from Boston, opened in 1897 and lasted until 1963. The park originally had a deer park, small zoo, popular canoeing facilities, amphitheater, and later the famous Totem Pole Ballroom. more information
   
   
Police from this station patrolled the river by boat The building is now used by Boating in Boston
   
   
The "Weston Bridge" across the Charles... ... has been replaced by the Route 30 bridge.
   

"Canoeing is the all-engrossing sport on this part of the river. ... On a pleasant afternoon or evening the water is often so densely covered that one might almost cross the stream by stepping from one canoe to another. Frequently during the summer the fleet parades, decorated with lanterns, bunting, and flowers, and various water fetes are held at odd times. The grounds and boathouses are extensive and well equipped; and near by are the houses of the Newton Boat Club, the Boston Canoe Club, and the Boston Athletic Association, whose large membership helps to swell the crowds upon the river on these occasions."

--Boston, A Guide Book
by Edwin M. Bacon, 1910

   
The Open Air Theatre Only a few remnants of the old park survive
   
   
Return to Main Page for this Park Return to Conservators Home Page
Send us an email
Top of Page
   Copyright © 2003-2016 Newton Conservators, Inc.