Newton Park and Conservation Lands
LOCATION: Newton Highlands
Newton Conservators trail map (Buy a copy of our trail guide)
and driving directions on Google Maps for entrances at:
Rogers Street Lake Avenue
MBTA: from the Green line, a 0.4 mile walk from the Newton Center station, or 0.2 miles from the Newton Highlands station
Other maps and aerial
photos: Newton Assessor Bing
SIZE: 33 acres
LONGEST WALK: 0.8 miles (including some walking on Lake Avenue)
ACQUIRED: 1894 and 2007-2009
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: Parks
People come here to swim, fish, boat, and ice skate. The bathhouse is open during the summer. Shoreline path and sidewalks allow for walks along three
sides of the lake. Because Crystal Lake is a "great pond"
(a pond that's larger than ten acres), it is state owned.
Crystal Lake has had several names. Its colonial
name was Wiswall's Pond. The lake was used for ice harvesting in
the 19th century, as was Bullough's Pond
and Chandler Pond. Ice dealers who sold
the ice for refrigeration renamed it Crystal Lake to sound appealing
to customers. Read this 1911 booklet for more history of the lake.
||The wall and
gas lights at Cronin's Cove were erected.
||The lake was named
Baptist Pond because First Baptist Church in Newton used the
lake for baptisms.
Two small parcels
were acquired, one donated by Moses and Emeline Crane.
||The City of Newton used CPA funds to acquire by eminent domain the property at 20 Rogers Street, to expand the Crystal Lake swimming area.
||The city purchased the shoreline portion of the adjacent property, 230 Lake Avenue, and built a lakeside path from the Crystal Lake beach to the existing parkland at Levingston Cove. The Newton Conservators entered into two conservation restrictions which permanently establish public access to the lakeside path.
ADVOCATES AND CARETAKERS:
Crystal Lake Conservancy
Proposal to expand the Crystal Lake swimming area
A Stroll Around Crystal Lake, by Lucy Caldwell Stair
A Comprehensive Historical Sketch of Crystal Lake (1911)
King's Handbook of Newton (1889)